Auburn could be without its two leading wide receivers at Arkansas.
Head coach Gene Chizik already ruled Trovon Reed out with a shoulder injury but said he is not hopeful that Emory Blake will play because of an ankle injury suffered in the third quarter of the South Carolina game.
“I’m not going to rule him out, but we are planning to play without him,” Chizik said.
Blake, a junior, leads Auburn with 19 catches for 333 yards and four touchdowns.
If Blake can’t go, junior DeAngelo Benton would be a prime candidate for more playing time. He has two catches for 56 yards this year, including a 15-yarder on third down to move the chains on Auburn’s game-winning drive at South Carolina.
Here’s what else Chizik had to say at his weekly press conference:
- “We’re going back on the road and I feel like our team is getting a little bit better of an idea of playing on the road and the challenges that come with that, these SEC road games.”
- “We’re going to try to get better at what we do. This is about Auburn. This is not about Arkansas.”
- On why Arkansas’ offense is so effective: execute well, three WR that are very fast, running game is extremely physical and quarterbacks are well-coached. “We’ve got to play much better than we have the previous two outings. It’s a very tough offense to slow down.”
- “They’re really good at what they do.”
- Said Hogs have arguably best receiving corps in the country.
- Game-planning from Marcus Lattimore to Arkansas’ offense: “It gives you a little bit different train of thought just because that’s where their production has been so far over the top compared to everybody else.”
- On Arkansas’ offense: “I don’t know that it’s night-and-day different than what everyone else does; they just execute it extremely well.”
- “It’s going to be huge for us to tackle these guys in space and limit their yards after catch.”
- On Tyler Wilson last year: “Extremely impressed. I didn’t know a lot about him. You don’t really know a lot about backups going into games. … For a guy coming off the bench and probably not expecting to play, I thought he showed an incredible amount of poise.”
- Mike Dyer is fine. He’ll get his usual practice this week.
- On Auburn’s recruiting success in Arkansas: “We’re going to recruit wherever we feel like there is an opportunity to have guys who are interested in Auburn.”
- On Houston Nutt‘s comments about Auburn “stealing” Jermaine Whitehead at the last second last year: “I’m trying to beat Arkansas. I don’t worry about those outside distractions.”
- “We’ve got to find things we are good at and improve those things.”