May 13, 2012

Report: Trovon Reed arrested for failing to appear in court in Thibodaux, La.

Photo by Robin Trimarchi

Auburn wide receiver Trovon Reed was arrested for failure to appear in court last Thursday in Thibodaux, La., a charge that stems from unpaid parking tickets, according to the Houma Courier.

Reed, a rising junior who played  his high school football in Thibodaux, was a passenger in a car driven by a former teammate during a traffic stop, and a computer check by the police showed Reed had two warrants for failing to appear in court in Terrebonne Parish, the Houma Courier reported.

Reed posted a $500 bond and was released. In an interview with the Courier, Reed said he had paid the parking tickets, but the arrest stemmed from missing an April 2011 court date. Reed also told the Courier that he informed Auburn’s coaches of the arrest and remains in good standing with the team.

“It wasn’t a big deal,” Reed said. “I agreed with it. I did what I was supposed to do. I feel like it got blown out of proportion a little bit, but I’ll take responsibility for it.”

Follow the blog on Twitter and Facebook.

1. The real news is that a cop would arrest a kid on an unpaid traffic ticket charge. Another chance to make Trovon regret he did not sign with LSU.

Comment by Ted — May 14, 2012 @ 8:55 am

2. he was arrested for 2 failure to appears not an unpaid ticket

Comment by jacob — May 14, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

3. Disregarding the order of the court is why he was arrested. Doesn’t matter if you are summoned because you were caught with a pound of weed or if you were ticketed for letting your dog poo on the sidewalk.

Comment by Donald — May 14, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

4. You fail to appear in court, they will issue a warrant for your arrest. I made the same mistake once. It’s not a huge deal. Once he goes before the judge and if the tickets have been taken care of it will be a fine and that will take care of it.

Comment by Stephen — May 14, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

5. The best part of this is the phrase “… but I’ll take responsibility for it” … I have not heard enough young men say that and hope that more young men will.

Comment by Jeff — May 14, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

6. Typical Auburn Police, harassing students instead of solving crimes. I feel so much safer now.

Comment by Ben — May 14, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

7. Ben, get your facts straight. If you could read correctly you’d see that he was arrested in Louisiana. Not Auburn.

Comment by Taylor — May 14, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

8. So why was the passenger in the car asked for his ID????

Comment by Laura — May 14, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

9. Pretty sure it says he was arrested in Thibodaux.

Comment by Todd — May 14, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

10. Ben he was arrested in Thibodaux, La. I hate auburn as much as I hate lswho. If you do not appear in court in La. you will get arrested. I know for sure been there done that. I was just hoping he took the rest of the auburn team with him. RTR

Comment by George Drury — May 14, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

11. The comments are more interesting than the subject matter of this article.

Comment by Terry — May 15, 2012 @ 8:33 am

12. the real news should be that someone was arrested for an unpaid parking ticket. I’m from Thibodaux and went to Auburn University. I saw someone in court in Auburn for 5000 dollars worth of unpaid parking tickets while i was defending my own speeding violation. It took 3 years! and 5000 dollars for them to get around to arresting this dude! Sounds like Trovon was arrested for driving (or being a passenger) while black. I hardly ever play the race card, but it sounds like it here. I’m white too fwiw.

Also, he paid them before he was arrested, so maybe their software could be updated.

Comment by Craig — May 15, 2012 @ 8:57 am

13. Ben,
    Looks like he was arrested in Louisiana not Auburn…

Comment by Greg — May 15, 2012 @ 9:31 am

14. He shouldve showed up for court,at least he said he will take responsibility for it.

Comment by carywalker — May 15, 2012 @ 10:59 am

15. Ok – apparently no one reads they graze the story. He was not arrested for Unpaid Parking tickets. He was arrested for FAILURE TO APPEAR – yes you have to appear for parking tickets if they are late or not paid.

Comment by Danny — May 15, 2012 @ 4:07 pm