November 25, 2012

Statement from Gene Chizik to Auburn fans

Gene Chizik to Auburn fans:

I am very grateful for the opportunity that I had during the last four seasons to serve as the head football coach at Auburn University. I’m extremely disappointed with the way this season turned out and I apologize to the Auburn family and our team for what they have had to endure.

In my 27 years of coaching, I have gained an understanding of the high expectations in this profession. When expectations are not met, I understand changes must be made.

While we experienced a tremendous low in 2012, I will always be proud of the incredible highs that we achieved, including three bowl victories, an SEC championship and a national championship.

I want to thank Dr. Gogue and Jay Jacobs for the great opportunity they gave me. I’m confident in their leadership ability to continue to move this football program forward.

I feel blessed to have been surrounded with so many great coaches, players and administrators that have worked relentlessly and dedicated themselves to this institution. I will miss not being able to continue to mentor these players on a daily basis. I’m confident these young men will continue to excel both on and off the field. They are a great group and I wish them nothing but the best.

I’ve been fortunate to spend seven years of my coaching career at Auburn, which is an incredible place to work and live. My family and I have been blessed to call Auburn home and look forward to remaining in the Auburn community.

I have said this many times, but the Auburn fans are the best in college football. They have an incredible passion and love for their school and I want to thank them for their support in good times and in bad times.

As I said four years ago when I arrived, Auburn was great way before we got here and it will remain great long after we leave. My sentiments about Auburn have not and will not change. I wish the next football coach all the best and I anticipate a smooth transition.

I encourage the Auburn family to continue to be ‘All In’ and support this great university and its athletics programs. War Eagle!

1. And I for one am grateful to you Coach Chizk for winning a National Championship in my lifetime..I said I could die happy now. Best wishes for you and your family.

Comment by sfgaston — November 25, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

2. Chizik=Class

Comment by Keith — November 25, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

3. Thanks for 2010 and best wishes, Coach Chizik!

Comment by MikeP — November 25, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

4. Thanks, Coach Chizik, for 2 undefeated seasons and 1 national championship.

Comment by RJ — November 25, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

5. Thank you Ch Chizik for all you have done for the Auburn Family! Just wanted to let you know that you and your family will be in my prayers! WAR EAGLE!!!

Comment by Brandi Burns — November 25, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

6. You are a great man Coach Chizik, I wish you nothing but the best, thank you once again for what you put together, including that 2010 National Championship

Comment by Cody — November 25, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

7. All the best. You are a class act, and I appreciate that so much. War Eagle, always! ALL IN!

Comment by Teri — November 25, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

8. Thank you Gene Chizik for loving Auburn as I do.
    You made 2010 extra special. May God Bless you and your family.
    Thanks for the memories.
    jterrell

Comment by j terrell — November 25, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

9. I was very proud of Auburns National Championship and, what I consider an impressive, 8 wins the next year after loosing so many key players. I wish I understood what happened this year, the SEC West is getting stronger for sure. The best to you and yours in the future. I hope our next coach has the class you demonstrated while at Auburn. Roger Rader ’66.

Comment by Roger Rader — November 25, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

10. Thank you for always being a man of solid character and Godly principles. Thank you for showing our players how a “family” man handles adversity. Thank you for the positive way you handle the end of your time as head coach…Your letter is just another example that you are class, through and through. As you wished Auburn the best as the “powers that be” move our program forward, I pray that God will open the perfect door for you and your family. God Bless!

Comment by Tammy — November 25, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

11. Despite the awful season I have maintained the opinion that Coach Chizik has always been a class act and a great ambassador..and his statement to the fans proves that. Thank you, coach, for everything you did during both your tenures at AU. I wish you and your family nothing but the best going forward.

Comment by chris — November 26, 2012 @ 8:43 am

12. if auburn wants to bring back the winning and tuff hard nose football they need to spend money on a coach that knows how to win JON GRUDEN

Comment by mitja63 — November 26, 2012 @ 10:01 am

13. Coach Chizik, we want to wish you and your family all God’s blessings as you transition from being Auburn’s head coach to whatever life holds for you. We so enjoyed where the 2010 season took us. All the way to Arizona and a National Championship!!! It was a great ride. We just wish this year had turned out better so that this “good-bye” would not be necessary. Thank you for the upstanding person that you are and for not being afraid to share your “FAITH” and belief in “GOD ALMIGHTY”. Because you have the beliefs you have we know you will be okay. As for Auburn, it will be okay, too. It may take a while to regroup, but I know it will all come together, eventually. Best of luck Coach Chizik.

Comment by Jane & Jimmy — November 26, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

14. Good luck Gene in your next endeavor. Thanks for keeping it classy for all of us Auburn grads and fans.

Comment by Gerry — November 26, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

15. Coach Chizik, you confirm my belief that you are an honorable man with a value system that has positively impacted the lives of many young men. I thank you for your faith and the grace you have shown in both the highs and the lows on the Plains. As you stated, I too understand that change is inevitable when expectations are not met, but not all men would show the class you have demonstrated. You are an Auburn man and always will be an Auburn man, even when you once again walk the sidelines for a different program. Charlie Chaplin once said that “Nothing is permament in this wicked world, not even our troubles.” Just as Auburn will rise again, so will Gene Chizik. The Lord will bless you and keep you all the days of your life and will use you for his purposes always. You and your family are in my prayers. War Eagle.

Comment by Bruce Smith — November 26, 2012 @ 9:49 pm