BY AARON BRENNER | email@example.com
ATLANTA – Someday, Auburn officials will be able to focus solely on stories on the football field, in the classroom and (now) on major conference developments like Thursday’s SEC Network announcement.
However, in their first media appearances since last month’s reports of football program wrongdoings, university president Jay Gogue and athletic director Jay Jacobs continued to put negative reports to rest Thursday at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Atlanta.
Particularly of Gogue’s interest was a Roopstigo.com report April 3 by former Sports Illustrated and New York Times reporter Selena Roberts of academic fraud, pay-for-play schemes and drug testing cover-ups during the 2010 national championship season.
On April 22, the university unleashed a fervent response to Roberts’ report following an internal investigation, denying all allegations with studies and fact-finding. According to CBS’ Jeremy Fowler, Jacobs has been in contact with the NCAA, which is reportedly satisfied with Auburn’s response.
The NCAA, as is common protocol, will not comment on any potential or pending investigations.
Gogue, the SEC chairman largely responsible for Thursday’s announcement, was asked about the reports.
“It’s just the day in the life of a university president. I think the response to a lot of the stories that came out after the fact indicated a little bit different perspective,” Gogue said.
“We were disappointed in the story. We didn’t know if it was accurate or not – I didn’t. So when you get in and begin to do all your careful reviews of everything said, we didn’t find anything. So in my judgment, it was a story that went out and was refuted.”