July 9, 2013

War Eagle Extra: Suggestion Box

As I have mentioned multiple times since taking over the War Eagle Extra blog and Twitter accounts on Monday, I greatly appreciate the kind welcome and the feedback readers have sent thus far. But I’d like even more feedback in the form of suggestions.suggestion-box

What has the blog done in the past that you liked and want to see more often? What things are epic failures you never want to see again? What has War Eagle Extra not written about or produced you’d like to see implemented? (This could include more videos or possibly even a podcast. Anything, really.)

I can’t guarantee anything, but the more responses received, the better. I want to make sure I’m delivering the best content possible, and it always helps if readers chime in with their thoughts, be it praise or condemnation.

We’ll have a lot of content being posted on War Eagle Extra leading up to next week’s SEC Media Days, but please, don’t be afraid to send any ideas my way between now and then. As always, you can tweet to @wareagleextra or send an email to rblack@ledger-enquirer.com.

Thanks in advance.

– RB

1. Love the live chats.

Comment by tptoomers — July 9, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

2. I would like to see full recaps (with video) of all press conferences surrounding football and athletics at AU. I know Alabama does this well thru the Tuscaloosa news.

Comment by Thomas — July 9, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

3. You won’t get many Auburn folks chatting, just Bama folks. Auburn fans and students basically ignore this paper because of past anti Auburn writers.

Write for Auburn, not about Auburn.

Comment by Wt — July 9, 2013 @ 10:56 pm

4. WT: I’m sure many readers who consider themselves Auburn fans would beg to differ. –RB

Comment by Ryan Black — July 9, 2013 @ 11:14 pm

5. First of all, don’t quote Fartbaum. No true Auburn fan wants anything to do with that…person, and I use the term “person” lightly.

Second, go for the local angle. Cover players from the surrounding area who are playing for or are interested in Auburn.

Comment by MJ — July 9, 2013 @ 11:35 pm

6. Definitely ignore Wt; many Auburn fans have enjoyed the live chats at this site and while a big fan of Joel’s work and chats with him, his new puppetmasters at al.com killed the Cover-It-Live chats he was able to do and forced it to the poor substitute of their comment system. Please keep up the CIL type chats.

Comment by Jay G. — July 9, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

7. Bring back the NCAA video game predictions. Those were fun.

Comment by Joe706 — July 10, 2013 @ 4:48 am

8. The one thing that Aaron did was to keep an open and responsive dialogue with readers and I would love to see that continued. Good luck!

Comment by CM — July 10, 2013 @ 9:30 am

9. I definitely appreciate everyone who has responded to me thus far. Keep them coming. And CM, I’ll definitely be doing that. I enjoy interacting with readers as often as possible. — RB

Comment by Ryan Black — July 10, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

10. Another vote for the live chats — love those, including upcoming game prediction. I’d say you’re off to a great start already, and frankly I’m fine with opinion pieces. I really enjoyed those by Aaron, particularly.

Comment by Simmons — July 10, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

11. My first suggestion is to review the work of your predecessors, Andy Bitter, Joel Erikson and Aaron Brenner. Each of them brought a high standard to WEXTRA and their coverage of the AU Tigers in the CLEO. They were factual, on the money and often a bit playful and irreverent. And in no case did they allow themselves to get caught up in the regurgitation of faux scandals, always keeping a healthy skepticism with an eye towards facts rather than baseless allegation and innuendo.

Second, keep up the interaction with the readers and fans. The live chats, a naysayer or two to the contrary notwithstanding, were always interesting and pretty well attended.

Finally, be both fast and fair in your coverage. WEXTRA and the CLEO have been my go-to source for the best AU beat newspaper based/sponsored coverage around.

You have a high standard to live up to. Just do your best to do that.

Comment by Roman Berry — July 10, 2013 @ 6:39 pm

12. Do what you want.

Comment by Wt — July 10, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

13. I would love more podcasts. Maybe with other bloggers. Maybe with players or coaches if you can!

Comment by MB34 — July 10, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

14. MB: Glad to hear someone likes the podcast idea. Definitely think it’s doable with bloggers, but getting a coach or player for that type of thing would be next-to-impossible. –RB

Comment by Ryan Black — July 11, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

15. Another +1 with the chats, especially the halftime chats.

I’d like to see more detailed game previews (not the ones you’re doing now, but the ones you do week of the game when you have more information on the teams). One of the previous writers for this blog was very detailed giving pros and cons for each team and what each team could take advantage of and also position battles such as Auburn’s QB/WR vs. Opponent’s DBs, Auburn’s RBs vs. Opponent’s LBs, Auburn’s OL vs. Opponent’s DL, and vice verse ie: Opponent’s RB vs. Auburn’s LB. Another thing that goes with this is getting the Opponent’s beat writer to answer five key questions for the game against Auburn.

One thing I hated about a certain writer, is I understand most interview videos are going to be 5-7 minutes (I mean you can’t broadcast the whole thing), but one writer would cut off the video halfway through a question or response and it left us hanging lol If you have someone over your shoulder saying “cut it off now” I understand, but if you could do your best to wait until a complete question and response is through that would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, apologies for this being long winded, but I can’t promise I won’t think of more later.

Comment by mab — July 12, 2013 @ 3:22 am